Adoption day

Adoption day

Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Fat Glove

We've been studying winter and snow this week although the kids are probably wondering if snow really exists since we hardly ever see any around here. Today we did this cool experiment to illustrate how the layer of fat in arctic animals protects them from the cold. We put shortening in between two zip-lock bags to make a "glove of fat." We then put our hands in the glove and submerged it in ice water. It was incredible how insulated our hands were. Too bad that my "body glove" is not that useful.
Then tonight as I was driving home (and thinking way too much due to forgetting to say decaf on my starbucks order at 8pm) I realized that the verse I wrote down this week to memorize reminded me of the glove. Romans 13:14 says "but put on the Lord Jesus Christ and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." I know I am supposed to put on Christ, but I hadn't really thought about that protecting me, but much like that glove, when I am clothed in Him and making no provision for my flesh to take over, then I am protected from getting into some really treacherous sinful situations.
So I now understand polar bears and this verse a lot better. Just thought I'd share.

No comments: