Adoption day

Adoption day

Friday, March 22, 2013

Father Abraham

It is amazing how many times over the last couple of weeks God has brought to my attention the story of Abraham.  Abraham was prepared to let go of both of his sons, Ishmael and Isaac.   I can only imagine that one night before Abraham walked Isaac up that mountain prepared to sacrifice him.  I think it's probably a safe bet that Father Abraham didn't sleep much that night, but rather he probably wrestled with God regarding God's promise of Isaac.  Abraham also probably had many more nights of wrestling and wondering before and after Ishmael left his home.  But God was gracious enough to give Abraham assurance that He still held a promise for Ishmael and later on in Genesis 21, we see that God sent an angel to help provide for Ishmael and his mother. 
These accounts from the life of Abraham kept popping up and honestly one morning I had had enough.   I went running and I guess I was trying to run from God's reminders to be prepared to say goodbye to sweet baby B.  But I know I can't run from God, and along the way I grew thankful for His comfort given from His word. 
I am comforted that God provided for both Ishmael and Isaac.  Yes, Abraham had to say give up Ishmael, but God did not give up on Ishmael.  Although Abraham was prepared to sacrifice Isaac, God provided a ram so that Isaac could live.  I still may not be sure if baby B will be one we say goodbye to or if God will step in right at the perfect moment and allow him to stay with us, but I do know that God was in control of both situations and took care of both boys.  Just like He will take care of our baby boy. 

No comments: