Adoption day

Adoption day

Saturday, May 02, 2015

Tetelestai

A few weeks ago, on Good Friday, I received an email that explained the importance of Jesus' words on the cross.  He said "tetelestai" which means "it is finished" (John 19:30).  The email went on to explain that the Greek word tetelestai is an accounting term that means paid in full.  It means that there is nothing left that is owed or needs to be done.  As I read that email, I praised God that there was nothing else that I needed to do to gain or earn salvation.  I rejoiced that I had peace in my relationship with God because it does not depend on me or my actions because Jesus has already paid my debt in full.  What is I wasn't secure and I thought there was more that I had to do to earn it or if I feared that something I did would make me lose my salvation?  That is when it clicked that this is what my son fears regarding his adoption.  He doesn't feel secure that it has been paid in full so to speak.  He is afraid that it can be undone and that we will give him up.  This fear isn't completely unfounded because at his previous home he was lied to and told that he was adopted.  And then they gave him back to CPS.  So although he has been with us for nearly two years and officially adopted for almost one, he still lives in fear.  He is afraid that if he is bad enough that we will get rid of him.  This causes him to test our patience and consistently break the rules.  This causes him to lie and accuse his siblings of things they haven't done in order to get them in trouble.  This fear also causes him to want attention and approval so he tries to compete to be the best and "one up" his siblings.  He feels the need to be the loudest or funniest or fastest or whatever "est" is applicable at the moment.  
The peace and security I have in Christ is the exact opposite of the anxiety and fear my son feels.  The problem we have is convincing him that we are telling the truth, the judge was telling the truth, his counselor is telling him the truth.  Our prayer is that sooner rather than later, he will finally believe us and relax and enjoy his permanent place in our family.  That we love him for who he is.  That we love him no matter what he does.
This simple word "tetelestai" is one that I have heard before; however, it has never meant more to me than now.  How simple the concept, yet how profound.  The words Christ spoke as the life left his body are life changing, life-giving for me.

....He sacrificed himself once and for all, summing up all the other sacrifices in this sacrifice of himself, the final solution of sin. Everyone has to die once, then face the consequences. Christ’s death was also a one-time event, but it was a sacrifice that took care of sins forever. And so, when he next appears, the outcome for those eager to greet him is, precisely, salvation.
Hebrews 9:26b-28 (The Message Bible)

No comments: