Adoption day

Adoption day

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

1 Corinthians 2:9

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him."


This is one of my favorite Bible verses, or what those in Christian circles would call a life verse.  I have found this verse to be proven true in my life on numerous occasions.  When I began to think about how to explain what has transpired over the past 3 months, it was this verse that came to mind.
After baby B left on April 17, we made plans to take 90 days off from fostering in order to take a break and to keep our home available in case he and his sister would be removed from their new home.   We were "closed" in foster parenting lingo to any new placements and that means that our agency would not call us to see if we could take a new little one.  We liked our plan and thought it was a good plan.
I've said multiple times in my life that God must have been laughing when He heard us make our plans for fun, relaxation, and SLEEP for the 90 days that would follow.  On Monday morning, May 29th, I received a call from our neighbor.  She had received a call from an old friend who was looking for a foster to adopt home for her newborn granddaughter.  I wasn't at first sure if our neighbor thought we could take this little baby or if she was hoping I could give her some helpful advice about the system in which this little one was now placed.  As we talked, I realized that she was hoping we could take the baby.  I am far too familiar with the snails' pace speed at which CPS works, so I said I would see what the options were to move the baby to our home.  I called Ozzie to let him know that there was this possibility of a baby, and he was not thrilled. He was very concerned that this was not going along with our plan.  I didn't feel comfortable closing a door that I felt just might have been opened by God.  We agreed to just see what would happen over the next few weeks.
The very next morning, God shoved the door wide open, and we were told that the baby would be coming to our home.  Within the next 48 hours, (May 2nd) we were holding sweet little "I" in our arms.  I can't go into detail here, but all that occurred is truly a miracle.  Her life, her well-formed body and mind are all miracles of God.  We are in love with her and enjoying each moment (maybe the 4am moments not so much) with her.  As of today, things are moving smoothly towards an adoption sometime in the future.  We are trusting God with the rest of the timetable since He has proved so capable in every other step of her life.
Life was good, "real good" (Ozzie will get this Nacho Libre reference), we were obviously still closed to any new foster placement since we had a baby.  Then I got a text from a fellow foster mom regarding two boys who were in need a new foster home.  The back story here is that after Baby B left, I had felt burdened to take older kids who were more in need of a healing home.  When Baby "I" came, that gentle nudging didn't stop, I just assumed that wasn't God's plan or it would happen much later in our journey.  Well the text made me think that maybe this was the later.  I called Ozzie expecting him to laugh me right off the phone, but he said he was "open" to taking them (OK, he might have laughed a little right before he said that).  The text and phone calls regarding possibly taking these boys all transpired on the afternoon of June 20th.  The boys were then in our home the very next day.
Life is definitely busier to say the least and of course we have had our moments of "we must have lost our minds" thoughts.  But to hear the sweet prayers of the boys' thanking God for their "new family" brings tears to our eyes and reminds us that God has been so good to all of us by working out things we could have never imagined He would do just 3 short months ago.

No comments: